Our primary QGIS trainer is Antony Scott (@antscott).
Ant has been working with QGIS since 2008 and provides QGIS expertise and training to MapAction - The humanitarian mapping charity.
He has trained over 100 people in using QGIS over the past few years, and regularly contributes to QGIS events, primarily in the South West.
Ant is a charter member of the OSGeo Foundation.
Astun offers two QGIS courses; QGIS Essentials is an introduction to the the essentials of the application. The second course, QGIS Advanced takes knowledge gained in QGIS Essentials and extends with advanced styling, automation and processing exercises.
QGIS Essentials (2 days) - 12 CPD points
The course covers the following topics, using the latest long-term release (LTR) version of QGIS - see here for current details.
Delegates should have a basic knowledge of GIS and data management. The course includes full notes and hands-on exercises for each module.
The course runs from 9.30am to 5pm each day.
1.Getting started with QGIS
- Introduction to QGIS
- Menus and features
- Map navigation
- Coordinate Reference Systems
2. Working vector with vector data, including selecting and querying
- Introduction to the data handling capabilities
- Using vector formats including ESRI and MapInfo
- Selecting data
- Attribute queries
- Spatial queries
3. Styling map data
- Creating maps
- Styling points, lines and polygons
- Choropleth maps
- Data-driven styling
4. Importing and exporting data
- Using spatial data formats including shapefiles, MapInfo, GML, CSV and PostGIS
5. Connecting to web services
- Web Mapping Service (WMS)
- Web Feature Service (WFS)
- Finding web services
6. Loading raster layers
- Loading OS tiled datasets
- Loading other compressed formats
7. Data capture editing
- Create layers
- Creating map features
- Editing feature geometry and attributes
8. Measuring and calculating geometries
- Measuring tools
- Calculating length, area and other properties of data
9. Spatial geo-processing and analysis tools
- Spatial transformation, including clip and buffer
- Using spatial analysis
- Sharing analysis results
10. Using Print Composer for map layout
- Preparing maps using Print Composer
- Including map items, such as legend, scalebar and text
- Using expressions for dynamic text
11. QGIS and databases
- Creating database connections
- Working with databases
- Uploading and downloading data
- Saving styles to the database
QGIS Advanced (1 day) - 4 CPD points
This course introduces a number of more advanced features of QGIS. Delegates should have a good working knowledge of QGIS.
The course runs from 9.30am to 5pm.
1. Processing Toolbox
- Using the processing toolbox
- Batch processing
- Graphical modeller
2. Advanced styling
- Rule-based stying
- Fills and graphic effects
- Symbol creation and editing
3. Atlas generation
- Atlas generation
- Use of expressions and variables in Atlas maps
- Use of styling rules to dynamically set styling
4. Raster / Terrain analysis tools
- Use of terrain analysis tools
- Analysis of height based for slope, aspect, heights and relief
- Georeferencer tool
- Tips for improved georeferencing
6. Plugins demo and review
- Time Manager