Our primary GeoServer trainer is Ian Turton (@ijturton).
Ian is a founder and code committer for the GeoTools java library which provides the underpinning spatial tools for GeoServer
Ian has extensive experience working with Open Source software (GeoServer, PostGIS, QGIS and others) spanning over 25 years.
Ian is a charter member of the OSGeo Foundation.
Astun offers a two day 'GeoServer Essentials' course and a one day 'Advanced' course plus a flexible 'Wizard' course which offers a number of modules for advanced users that we can tailor to specific requirements. We will schedule courses in one and two day increments according to demand.
GeoServer Essentials (2 Days) - 8 CPD points
The course runs from 9.30am to 5pm each day.
Day 1 - by the end of the day you will be able to install and use a GeoServer instance. You will be able to:
- Add layers to a GeoServer WMS
- Style that data to produce simple maps
- Use a web browser / desktop GIS to access that WMS data
- What is GeoServer
- What is the OGC
- Simple data types and projections
2. Getting Started
- Download and Install GeoServer
- How to add simple vector data to GeoServer
- How to add simple raster data to GeoServer
3. Drawing prettier maps
- Simple Styling
- Labelling features on the map
- Importing styles from QGIS
4. Simple Clients
Day 2 - at the end of the second day you will be able to build a style using SLD and CSS and apply it to a layer you have loaded into GeoServer. You will know how to install the INSPIRE plugin and why you might need it. You will be able to make a simple WFS query and know why you might need to provide this service. You will also know how to add a 10% watermark to satisfy Ordnance Survey when using MasterMap data. This day also covers basic GeoServer security.
1. Advanced Styling
- Using the CSS Styling plugin
- Advanced SLD
- Freemarker templates
2. Other Web Services
- Setting up a Web Feature Server (WFS)
- Cascading a remote WMS
3. UK Specific Items
- The INSPIRE plugin
- Watermarking Ordnance Survey Data
4. Advanced Raster Management
- How to reformat rasters using GDAL
- Image mosaics
- Image pyramids
- Users & Roles
- LDAP, Active Directory
GeoServer Advanced (1 Day) - 4 CPD points
This day is for advanced users who have either completed the GeoServer Essentials course or been using GeoServer for some time. It covers adding advanced vector and raster formats to GeoServer as well as how to serve rasters using a WCS. At the end of this day you will be able to add complex data (including MetOc), make use of the REST API to automate adding data and styles. You will also have a basic knowledge of how to add printing services to GeoServer.
The course runs from 9.30am to 5pm.
1. Other Web Services
- Basic Web Coverage Service (WCS) set up
- Cascading remote WFS
- Basic Web Processing Services (WPS) set up
2. Running in production
- Production tuning
- REST Management API
- Advanced Configuration
- Flow control
3. Advanced Styling
- Rendering Transformations
- External Graphics
- WMS Dimensions (time, elevation etc.)