PostgresSQL has more than 15 years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, and data integrity. It runs on all major operating systems.
PostGIS adds support for geographic objects and ‘spatially enables’ the PostgreSQL server, enabling it to be used as a backend spatial database for geographic information systems (GIS), much like ESRI's SDE or Oracle's Spatial extension.
‘PostGIS’ has been at the heart of Astun Technology’s offerings since day one back in 2005. Over the years we have come to rely on it as a sound underpinning technology for everything we do. We have paid for some bespoke development which was then released to the wider Open Source community. We have also developed our own code and tools too, specifically ‘Loader’ which enables large datasets like OS MasterMap™ to be loaded into PostGIS. Again we have released the code in the spirit of open source so others can benefit.
Because of our deep knowledge of PostGIS some clients began to enquire about getting more out of their PostGIS investment and mentoring led on to specific training.
For those who are working towards CGeog (GIS) or other related qualification our PostgreSQL/PostGIS courses have received CPD accreditation from the AGI. This amounts to 12 points for the the full three day course and 8 points for each of the two day courses.
"This is a comprehensive course and superb value for money especially when considering all the additional material supplied on the USB drive.”
Robert Steele, GIS & Business Analyst, Mole Valley District Council
"Thank you for sorting me out with attendance at the training course in Balloch last week. It has been a big help already back in the office. The training was a high standard, very professional and well run. It was also useful to spend time with the other local PostGIS users.”
Abigail Page, Central Scotland Forest Trust
Our PostgreSQL/PostGIS Courses
We offer three PostgreSQL/PostGIS courses:
- Option 1 - 'PostGIS for GIS Professionals' This is a two day course aimed at GIS professionals who want to leverage the power and ease of use that PostGIS offers for quick spatial indexing and geospatial analysis such as crime hot spot analysis. This course would also suit iShare users who would like to be able to improve the data being pushed out, become a little more self-sufficient and start to use it for their own GIS applications.
- Option 2 - 'PostGIS for GIS Administrators' This is two day course that includes the basic introductory modules covered in Option 1 and also covers basic PostGreSQL and PostGIS installation, basic administration and user management. This course would suit anyone wanting to start thinking about using PostgreSQL/PostGIS across the enterprise. It covers features such as user access management for different groups or roles and database back up. This will be of particular interest to anyone wishing to reduce license fees by moving to an Open Source solution.
- Option 3 - 'PostGIS for the Enterprise' This consists of all 9 course modules spread over three full days. Want to set up a Spatial Data Warehouse? then look no further than this full and comprehensive course.
Those attending either of our courses should:
- be confident in using a computer.
- have a working knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS).
- have some basic knowledge of structured query languge (SQL), although this is not essential.
Further information and Bookings
If you are not sure which course is right for you, just call or email our Business Development Manager, Mike Smith on 01372 744009 who will be happy to help.